1. Put the onions and carrots in a large pot with 1/2 cup vegetable stock and cook over medium heat until onions soften a bit - about 3 minutes.
2. Add the coconut milk and the spices. Cook for 1 minute while stirring.
3. Add the white and sweet potatoes and the rest of the stock. Cover and let cook 5 minutes.
4. Add the remaining ingredients (except the salt), stir, cover and cook until vegetables are just soft, about 20-30 minutes.
5. To bring out all the flavours, season to taste with a pinch or two of sea salt.
6. Serve over cooked, brown rice or quinoa
*You might find that 1/2 tsp cayenne is too much. This dish has quite a zing. Not burn-your-face-off hot, but definitely spicy. Next time I'm going to try with a bit less cayenne (and cumin perhaps) to see if that helps bring out the rest of the flavours.