Sunday 25 March 2012

Thai Green Curry

Thai food is  a very nutritious, delicious, different way of ensuring you're getting all your veggies.  I make and experiment with this dish frequently.  It doesn't always turn out the same but it is always delicious!  The heat/flavour of your green curry will depend greatly on the brand of green curry paste you are using (or if you make the paste yourself). I have a recipe for the paste that I've not yet tried, but when I do - you'll be the first to know :)

Here's the basic recipe I use for my green curry (feel free to experiment and alter to your heart's content)

1 pkg firm tofu
1 tbsp of green curry paste (or more - the brand I have is very authentic and very hot so I don't need much - if you have a name-brand/mass produced version, these tend to be milder so you may want to use 2 tbsp -or more if you like it very hot...play around with it.)
1/4 tsp salt
2 cans LITE coconut milk
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 medium eggplant, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 can bamboo shoots (optional)
Any other veggie you feel would go well
1 tbsp brown sugar (or to taste)
1tbsp lime juice
salt to taste

-Drain tofu between two paper towel lined plates for 30 mins.
-Cut tofu and eggplant into 3/4 inch cubes
-In large saucepan, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat; fry curry paste and 1/4 tsp salt for two minutes.  Stir in coconut milk and broth; bring to boil.
-Add tofu, eggplant, peppers, bamboo shoots, and any other veggies you like (okra, green beans are good choices) but NOT the frozen peas; and brown sugar.
-Reduce heat and simmer, covered; stirring occasionally until eggplant is tender.
-Add peas; simmer 3 minutes. Stir in lime juice and salt to taste.
-Serve over jasmine or basmati rice.


I forgot to take a picture of this but next time I make it I'll be sure to add a photo of this colourful dish.

Nutrition Data (per approx 1 cup serving - excluding rice)
234 Cal | 16g fat | 14g carbs (3 fiber, 5 sugar) | 11g protein



No comments:

Post a Comment