Sunday 7 April 2013

Chocolate Zucchini Loaf (New & Improved!)

So, as many of you may have noticed I had a recipe for a healthy Chocolate Zucchini loaf on my blog.  It was a great recipe (although, there was a typo in it that I never noticed til I read it over the other day).  However, I now have an EVEN BETTER recipe.  It's moist, it's a bit ooey-gooey, it's nutritious, and it has NO added fat whatsoever!  The only thing I haven't done is replace the all-purpose flour with whole grain - was worried to mess with perfection!  Perhaps next time I make it I will do so and report in.



Perfect Chocolate Zucchini Loaf

1/2 Cup Apple Sauce
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar | {Note: I used 1 cup of Palm Sugar (a low GI sugar made from coconut) and it worked beautifully, so I am guessing that any combination of sugars you desire will be fine.}
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs (or equivalent in egg substitute* to keep it vegan)
1 1/2 cups zucchini, grated.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
dash salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon.
3/4 cup chocolate chips (vegan, if that's what you're going for)

1. Combine the applesauce, sugar, and vanilla.  Add the eggs and zucchini.
2. In a separate bowl combine the flour, cocoa, soda, powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Add to the wet ingredients.
3. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Pour into a (parchment paper-lined) loaf pan.  Bake 60-70 minutes at 350'F

Note2** I am not a vegan but I made my loaves this week vegan because I had no eggs and my chocolate chips were vegan by coincidence (by the way, Kirkland Chocolate Chips from Costco are fantastic!).  One FAST and easy way to have an egg substitute (and what I used when I made this loaf) is:
1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water = 1 egg.  (Doubled in in this case as it calls for 2 eggs).
Combine the flax and water and let stand a few minutes until it gets gelatinous (similar to eggwhite).
Works like a dream!

Nutrition Info for 1/10 of the loaf (depends how thick or thin you slice the loaf):
(with egg substitute):
230 calories | 6g fat | 44g carbs (4g fiber, 24g sugar) | 8g protein
(with egg):              
240 calories | 6g fat | 44g carbs (4g fiber, 24g sugar) | 9g protein






No comments:

Post a Comment