Friday 26 August 2011

Pizza?!

So, today I was craving pizza.  But, I don't like store-bought crust so I would have to make the crust - I was busy so I didn't want the usual fussy crust.  I found a recipe that was FANTASTIC - delicious and easy.  Since this was my first time making this crust I followed the recipe exactly, next time I will make it with stone-ground hard whole wheat flour (among the lowest GI wheat flours).

Here's the recipe for the crust:

1pkg (or 1 tbsp) active dry yeast
1/4 tsp. granulated sugar
3/4 cup 110'F water
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (I'm using stoneground whole wheat next time)
1/2 tsp. salt
-Dissolve yeast and sugar in water; allow to rest for 8 minutes (will get foamy).

-In a separate bowl, combine flour and salt.
-Pour yeast mixture over flour mixture and mix well .
-Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
-Working from the edges to the center, press dough into a 12" circle
-Place dough on a lightly greased pizza pan and stretch dough to edges.
-Spread sauce over crust and top with cheese and desired toppings.
-Bake in a 500'F degree oven for 8-12 minutes, or until edges are golden.


Note** You do not leave this crust to rise, it's a relatively thin crust - its small amount of rising will occur in the baking!

I then made a great sauce with regular cheap pizza sauce (remember, I wanted this to be fast - thus the bought sauce base)
I added about 1tsp sambal oelek for kick (you could do more or less or none)
and about 1tsp of pesto for added flavouring

I spread this sauce  on the crust and topped with about 1.25 Cup of  Sargento Italiano Blend shredded cheese (the best pre-shredded cheese in my opinion - only one that contains SMOKED provolone)

My total nutrition information for 1/4 of the pizza made as I've stated above is:
296 Cal | 9.8g fat | 42g carbs (2g fibre, 2.6g sugar) | 15.9g protein.

That nutrition data is for the pizza exactly as I made it above, when I make it with the stoneground whole wheat flour it will be slightly different - I'll post those results when I've done so.  Also, be sure to add the nutrition data of anything you add (like meat or olives or extra cheese).



Also, you might think that 1/4 of the pizza isn't enough but we had it with some healthy salad and it was just fine for a meal! (Also, if you're really hungry and you have 1/2 the pizza...it's still only 600cal for HALF A PIZZA!)

No comments:

Post a Comment