Wednesday 24 August 2011

Fantastic Fudge

Ok so today I tried something new.  I was CRAVING fudgey/chocolatey.  So I perused the web for different fudge recipes that aren't so very sweet.  My traditional fudge recipe, though delicious, is VERY sugary.

I stumbled upon a recipe on a lady's site for a fudge that was fairly low sugar and she had added xylitol as a sweetener.  I looked at her recipe and had considered using Agave Nectar instead of the xylitol (a possible migraine trigger)...but after more careful consideration decided against any sweetener whatsoever.  It turned out wonderful.  Here's the recipe:

1 Cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup natural crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup natural smooth peanut butter
(you can do any combo of the PBs - ie: all smooth or all crunchy, your call)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt (I did a bit less I think...honestly I didn't measure - just did about 10 grinds on my sea salt grinder)

Melt the Chocolate Chips (you can do this in the microwave at 50% power in 30 second intervals - stirring in between intervals or over a double boiler).
Once melted stir in the Peanut Butter (can microwave it for a few seconds on 50% power if you need to).
Add the salt and the vanilla. Stirring until everything is WELL combined.

Line a large loaf pan with parchment paper leaving edges of parchment paper above the edge of the pan (for easy removal, if no parchment paper then spray with non-stick spray)
Spread the fudge mixture evenly in the pan.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours.  Once solid slice into 28 squares (4x7).  Keep in the fridge as it's very melty.

Nutrition:
(per 1/28th of the batch - one square)
67Calories | 5g fat | 5g carb (1 fibre, 4 sugar) | 2 protein

not too bad for an otherwise off limits treat!!  Just don't eat the whole pan ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment