Monday 28 May 2012

Vegetable Miso Soup with Noodles

This was a recipe I made up tonight.  Was delicious. As this is my first time making it AND it was invented on the spot, measurements might be slightly off.  When I make it again, I'll confirm the measurements AND take a picture (oops).

1 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 medium onion
1 tsp minced garlic (from a jar) or 2 cloves, minced
8 cherry tomatoes halved or 2 medium tomatoes chopped
6 cups water
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
1/2 can chopped baby corn
1 tsp grated fresh ginger*
1 bunch green onions or about 10 chives, chopped
1/2 block firm tofu, cubed
1 bag (the small bag, forget the weight) baby spinach
2 tbsp white miso paste
1-2 tsp sambal oelek (optional)

In a large pot sautee the onion and garlic and tomatoes in the oil until tomatoes collapse and the onion is soft and translucent.

Add the water, the bouillon cubes, the ginger, and baby corn and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 5 minutes.

Reduce heat to LOW (make sure it's not boiling anymore) and add everything else.  Stir and keep warm but not boiling until the miso dissolves, the spinach is wilted, and the noodles are soft.

Serve.

Be sure to stir your portion as the miso settles.

{Note: When I was making this, I forgot I had intended to put in some shredded carrot and a shredded nori (dried seaweed) sheet. Next time.}

Nutrition Info per approx 1.5 cup serving:
130 Cal | 5g fat | 15g carbs (2g fiber, 2g sugar) | 6g protein

*Tip!  I keep a knob of fresh ginger root in my freezer.  This way I always have the delicious and fragrant flavour of fresh ginger without ever worrying about it going bad.  Just take it out of the freezer and grate it on a ginger grater or on the fine side of your cheese grater.  Makes a delicious powdered ginger, much better than the flavourless store-bought type.

No comments:

Post a Comment